Thursday, July 12, 2018

A Small Hardware Project: The O_C Programming Panel

For the first time since I bought my Ornament and Crime, it is fully-racked in my case with four screws. It will no longer spend most of its time propped up by a USB cable at an awkward 45-degree angle.

I cut into my case this evening and added an Ornament and Crime programming panel. It consists of a Switchcraft USB jack, a momentary push button, and a short USB cable for inside the case. Here's the panel in progress:

The Switchcraft jack has a USB Type B jack on one side, and a Type A jack on the other side. So all I had to do was connect a six-inch USB cable into my O_C's Teensy. To maximize its life span in there, I cracked open a brand new Teensy.

The button is to put the Teensy into programming mode, and it just connects to Program and Ground
terminals near the Teensy's on-board button. Here's the O_C hooked up:

I had to swap the positions of my O_C and my Varigate 4+, because the internal USB cable takes a lot of space to the left of the module, and it can no longer go up against the edge of the case. Fortunately, Varigate 4+ is really slim, and the cable has plenty of clearance below the Varigate 4+.

I'd prefer to have the O_C on the left edge, but I'll learn to like it this way. I'll keep my eyes open for a short right-angle USB cable. I've seen them right-angle, and I've seen them short, but....

Anyway, here's what the programming panel looks like from the back, once everything was back together:

This simple thing is going to save me lots of time that I've been spending hooking up the stupid USB cable and fishing around for the stupid tiny little button.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pitch Calculation and Output

"If pitches were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak." --Jayne Cobb And where have I been for almost two months? I was busy...